Saturday 30 April 2016

Week 3 - things that I didn't know I liked

Week 3 seems to have hurtled by, which is surprising given that it's a vacation week from school, so I've been at home with my wife and the kids. The main focus has been on getting her a job, and we finally have an interview in hand for her. It's next Thursday (after mine on Tuesday and Wednesday) so watch this space! Things are slowly coming together on the job front, and we've decided to end the kids' endless holiday by signing them up for daycare, more of which when they actually start. 

For this post, I wanted to focus on some of the smaller things that I've found that I like about being here:

1. Driving

Whilst I've driven before in America, it's been very infrequently and usually only a short drive to the shops and back when we've forgotten something. Now I'm out and about by myself (or with the kids) a bit more, I've found a lot of joy on the roads. For example, there's right on red, which means that if you're turning right and there's a red light, you can go as long as it's clear. There's cruise control (I know this isn't particular to America) which I love, as well making sure I don't get done for a ticket. Finally there's the slower speed limits. I thought this would annoy me, but it feels quicker than the stop start nature of Leeds traffic and means I can enjoy the beautiful scenery whilst I'm driving.

2. Supermarket bag packers

Again, I've been in supermarkets before over here, and always felt a little silly/frustrated that there's someone packing my bags for me. However now with 2 kids in tow, it makes my life unbelievably easier to have someone else sort the food for me (including using different colour bags for cold and dry food!), leaving me to play with Sophie, chatter with Jake and pay at my leisure. Take note, Sainsbury's!

3. Manners

The number of random people I've talked to over the last few weeks has been incredible, and everyone I've met is so polite. It's strange that there is a perception of British people have impeccable manners, but I know that I couldn't strike up conversations in parks and shops as I'm able to do here. My accent definitely helps, as does having a couple of cute kids, but even so, the response has been great. My favourite part of all is being welcomed to America by every person I talk to. A typical conversation goes like this:

Them: So where are you from?
Me: England/across the pond
Them: How long have you been here?
Me: Oh a couple of weeks now
Them: When are you heading back?
Me: We're not, we've moved here permanently.
Them: Well, welcome to America!

I've had this conversation at least a dozen times so far and I'm still not bored of the friendliness and manners yet. 

4. Predictable weather

I realise that there is a lot of smugness in most of the photos that I send to my friends and family back in the UK, mainly based on the clear blue skies and sunshine that we've had nearly every day since we've been here. However, what I like most about the weather is that a week in advance, the weather apps tell you what it will be like and lo and behold it is. Makes planning outings much easier. My favourite example is last week, when it said it was going to snow on on Tuesday. I sat there incredulously on Monday afternoon playing with Jake and Sophie in the glorious sun thinking that there was something wrong with my phone. It was cloudy when I woke up on Tuesday and it got progressively colder. By lunchtime there was sleet, and when we were driving home in the afternoon, we got about half an inch of snow, as predicted. 

5. State quarters

The inner geek in me finds money, and in particular coins, fascinating. I like it when new designs come out in the UK and always have a soft spot for the old 50p pieces, mainly from the book The Queen's Nose which I always wanted to be real. However, here, whilst I disagree with having the largest coin being 25c, they have gone to town in recent years by giving each state a quarter to decorate. You can then collect the whole set and mount them (and by "you" I mean "I"). I've started raiding the change slots in my wife's family's cars as well as the penny jar upstairs. I got Jake and his cousin to help, and I think I have around 40 already. I like the little challenge that goes with it, as well as getting people to help out.

As with all of these posts, there will be more to add to this list.

1 comment:

  1. I would very much like to see your collection of quarters! I am harbouring a secret stamp collection at the moment. I'm yet to work out what to do with it, but until such times as I do, the collection will grow.

    ReplyDelete